Crunchy and comfortable…Chickpea Chicken Tostadas is a Mexican meal with a Mediterranean twist!
That’s how I felt when I bit into this tostada. The chipolte peppers add a kick, but not too much heat. If you are sensitive to spicy, start with 1 chipolte pepper. Otherwise, bring it on. I could eat them every day!
There’s just something so delicious about a crisp shell, and iceberg lettuce together. Yeah, I know, there’s little food value in iceberg lettuce, but this is where I use it…tacos and tostadas!
Chop up onion, garlic and peppers and toss them in a fry pan. Saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add the chickpeas…or garbanzo beans, whatever you like to call them. Either name works…add broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Process chickpea mixture, cilantro, and chipolte peppers in my favorite food processor or with a hand blender until smooth. Return mixture to skillet. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Stir in lime juice, and salt and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
Spread chickpea mixture evenly over tortillas. Top evenly with lettuce and tomato. Add sliced chicken breast. Top evenly with lettuce and tomato. Add sliced chicken breast.
Drizzle with Todd’s Tomatillo Salsa, a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with avocado slices.
- 12 tostada shells
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped, (I used grape tomatoes)
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 5 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Process chickpea, broth, cilantro, and chipolte peppers in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth. Return mixture to skillet. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Stir in lime juice, and salt and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread chickpea mixture evenly over tortillas. Top evenly with lettuce and tomato. Add sliced chicken breast. Drizzle with tomatillo salsa, a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with avocado slices. Serve immediately.
Great to have you here. Tell me, what’s you favorite crunchy food? I’d love to know!
I’d love to try this, it sounds great! You’ve used a cool looking tortilla too:@)
I am having these ASAP. I would like to try them Saturday night, but Miss Whimsy will not be home that night, and I think she would love them. We’re just a bunch of Chick Pea lovers around here.
Sure does look good with lots of healthy ingredients too! I like the crispness of iceberg lettuce in dishes like this.
I love this healthier version of chicken tostadas! What a great substitute for refried beans.
Yum! This sounds so good, I’m wanting it now! Love your photos!
Sounds sorta weird, but you make it LOOK delicious.