Manhattan Clam Chowder
Manhattan Clam Chowder
Chowder goes together without expending too much energy and is a comfort. For low-carbers, like me, just eat around the potatoes and pass the bread basket along.
- 2 cans 6½ ounces each minced clams
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely diced potatoes
- Water (as needed)
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- ¾ cup flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Drain the juice from the clams and combine the juice with the onions, celery and potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to barely cover and simmer, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter, blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the half-and-half, cook and whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add the vegetables and drained clams to the flour mixture and heat through. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and sugar. Top with a pat of butter and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Ladle into bowls and serve.
This sounds great Gnee! Might give it a try on one of these last few cool weekends! Oh, it feels good to say that-Happy Friday:@)
I hope you are all DEBUGGED and that everyone in your household is feeling better. I have never once tried Manhattan clam chowder. I always go all New Englandy. I should try this.
I think soup weather will be over soon around here so I better not put it off.
BTW, I did use the shiny red Kodak to give a little green smoothie recipe. I gave you a shout out for something in it, too. I’ve never done a tutorial before.
I love this too and think we might even have the same recipe…so good! 😀
Ok.. since your salad was amazing, I’ll have to try this one too!
Have a great weekend!
Luciane at HomeBunch.com
Yum! This looks great.
There’s nothing nicer on a cold and foggy day, than a good bowl of chowder. My mum makes great chowder, but hers is more of a New England style. I’d like to try yours!
Hope you’re feeling better! This looks soooo delicious.
This would make anyone feel better! It looks so thick and yummy. That’s the kind I love, thick and comforting.
I love your layout. I want mine like this with wider pictures and less side column. What layout are you using and can I change without losing everything (it scares me to death!)