Tortellini Sausage Soup
Surprise friends, Tortellini Sausage Soup is on, and this one is worth running for!
My niece, Tagan, shared her Tortellini Sausage Soup with our family about 3 years ago and I have been dishing it ever since. Over the holidays I made it for company and promised I would share the recipe here. It’s perfect with fresh parmesan cheese and hot bread on a cold winter’s day.
Begin by browning the sausage in a large Dutch oven. Drain the sausage well and saute onion and garlic till soft.
Now add the sausage, broth, veggies and wine and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cheese tortellini and simmer for 8 minutes. For those of you who don’t drink alcohol like me, the alcohol will cook out of the broth and leave a delicious flavor, or just use an extra cup of beef broth, your choice!
Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese and serve with buttered bread. Enjoy friends!
Tortellini Sausage Soup
Such a yummy soup that is loaded with veggies, tortellini, sausage, and finished with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 c beef stock
- 2 c Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 T Italian seasoning
- 8-10 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Sauté sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling. Using a slotted spoon transfer sausage to a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 1 T drippings from Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan. Add stock, tomatoes, sauce, zucchini, carrot, pepper, wine, and Italian seasonings.
- Simmer until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender (8 minutes).
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Stay warm and healthy.
This looks and sounds wonderful! I love finding a new soup recipe to make, thanks for sharing this! ;D
Blessings and prayers,
No doubt, scrumptious!
Great recipe! I love hearty soups!
I know this is a good soup… I shared the very same recipe a couple of years ago. Good choice, Tagan! 🙂
So there you go, THIS is really good soup! Thanks for that Lorraine…
The soup looks delicious! However, I do think I need to remind you of something……
I believe you may have forgotten what a cold winter’s day is.
I’ve been watching your weather on your end of the state….and you ain’t got cold.
(I’m trying not to be bitter as I slip around on the roads of this fine town…I bet ya miss it don’t ya?)
We had some snow the other day for a couple of hours and it was so pretty AND it has been cold. I love not sliding around and my friends from the ‘burg. You’re right, that’s all!
This recipe sounds great! Will add to my recipe collection. Thanks for sharing!
It sounds delicious and hearty! Love all of those veggies in it!
This sounds fabulous! I’ve never tried Italian sausage in soup but it sounds and looks just wonderful! So perfect for these cold brisk days! Thanks!
This sounds like a real stick-to-the-ribs soup with the sausage and vegetables. I love using tortellini for the pasta. Snow is predicted today and nothing sounds better than soup.