All-American Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon), optional
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Stabilized Whipped Cream
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour; reduce heat to low. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Beat in eggs, all at once; continue beating until smooth.
- On a parchment covered cookie sheet, drop dough by slightly less than ¼ cupfuls about 3 inches apart. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Crack the oven and allow puffs to cool in oven, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, ½ cup of water, sugar and lemon juice. Stir frequently, and bring to a low boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Slowly stir the cornstarch into the blueberries, taking care not to crush the blueberries. Simmer until the homemade blueberry sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Cut off top third of each puff and pull out any strands of soft dough.
- Fill cream puffs with filling; replace tops.
- Drizzle with blueberry sauce.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Garnish with an American Flag
- Serve immediately.
What's your favorite?
Have you got a summer dessert you love enough to share?