Best Key Lime Pie
Best Key Lime Pie
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees.
- Making a graham cracker crust is remarkably easy in my food processor. It makes the finest crumbs and then I just add in the sugar and butter and give it a whirl. Add it to a pie plate and press the crumbs up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove crust and cool on a wire rack.
- While the crust is cooling, grate the limes, and mix the filling in an electric mixer as directed.
- Pour filling into cooled crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably over night.
- Before serving cover evenly with Stabilized Whipped Cream. Garnish with a slice of key lime and serve.
Lucky for us I was able to snap a few inspiring images before this baby was history! If you are in need of a little get-away from life as usual, this is a tasty one.
- 1-1/4 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter or margarine
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cups fresh Key lime juice
- grated zest from 2 limes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter and blend thoroughly.
- Pack mixture firmly into a 9" pie pan and press firmly to bottom and sides, bringing crumbs evenly up to the rim.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool.
- While the crust is resting, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick.
- Now lower the speed of the mixer and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Before serving, whip the cream, confectioner's sugar and vanilla until nearly stiff.
- Evenly spread whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with a slice of fresh lime.